Did you know that dental bleaching might be less harmful to the teeth than drinking orange juice or soda?
In this article, we will explain the effects of the components of whitening gels. What effects are caused when in contact with the dental structure and how the modern gels were developed in a way to guarantee safety.
People have increasingly valued a beautiful and healthy smile. One of the simplest ways to reach such goal is through dental bleaching.
There are some myths regarding dental bleachings, such as that, the use of gel can weaken the teeth, this way harming the patient´s buccal health. Due to such myths, many people decide to continue with darkened or yellowish teeth, despite the desire to have a more pleasant smile.
In-office dental bleaching products have a high concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide, and frequently, manufacturers reduce its pH to acid levels to avoid premature product decomposition on the shelf, aiming for better longevity and stability. For this reason, it is interesting to know the acidity level of the product being used.
Low pH (acid) substances, can cause the demineralization of the enamel when in contact with the teeth. The safe limit pH level for the enamel is 5.5 (called critic pH) and in cases in which substances with pH lower than this limit are applied, the enamel will undergo a demineralization process with loss of calcium and phosphate.
You can find in the market take-home whitening gels with a pH close to neutral (pH from 6.0 to 6.5) that are harmless to the teeth. For in-office products, there are even basic versions (pH from 8.0 to 8.5), which certainly are safer for clinical use. Just for the sake of comparison, the natural orange juice pH is around 3.72 and one of the cola-based sodas is 2.66, in other words, both extremely acid.
Dental bleaching is an extremely conservative procedure and widely researched by professors all over the world. It can be said that it is a safe treatment when performed under the supervision of a dentist. Contact a professional you trust to know more about this procedure.
Here is a hint: to assure an even longer bleaching result, it is recommended to avoid the excessive consumption of highly artificially colored food, coffee, red wine, and chocolate. These are the main villains of beautiful and healthy teeth.